Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Toshers!

I was recently putting together a Power Point presentation for a talk on the history of waste disposal (oh the joy of secular employment!)

I was preparing a slide on 'toshers' and 'scavengers'.

Both of these occupations existed in 18th and 19th Century Britain.

"Toshers" worked in the sewers, a dangerous and smelly way to make a living, but lucrative as they found coins, bits of metal, ropes and bones and sometimes jewellery. "Mud-larks" scavenged on the river banks, and made a comparatively poor living. "Scavengers" used to dig through midden heaps (piles of decaying refuse - including sewage - at the end of a street) to find things to sell.

I was looking for suitable pictures that would illustrate these three archaic occupations - thinking that the best I could secure would be some Victorian engravings - when up popped all three occupations alive and well in the developing world.

Wouldn't it be great if the 2 billion or so nominal Christians on the planet were 'moved by compassion' and decided to do something for the 'widows and orphans' (not forgetting the hungry and oppressed) in this world.

"Unless I am moved with compassion
How dwelleth they spirit in me?
In word and in deed burning love is my need,
I know I can find this in thee."

Yours, set apart by Christ, for the lost, in the Army.

No comments: