Monday, July 07, 2008

Sufficient evidence to prove belief?

A short break from holiness... part 4 tomorrow!

I decided to cycle to Mile End today from Dartford (and back!) to meet my eldest daughter for dinner – perhaps not the wisest method of transport but at least I did my bit for the environment!
We had an interesting discussion about women Bishops and homosexual priests. As I mulled the discussion over in my mind as I cycled back home I had something of an epiphany!

It's not the first time the challengs set out below have come before me nor the first time I have shared them but they seemed to present themselves more forcefully today.

If we take lifestyle as evidence of belief then we would have to conclude that the impact of belief upon the behaviour of Christians, is substantially limited – indeed one could put up a really strong case that dared to suggest that based on the evidence alone, most Christians don’t believe at all.
Let me provide a few examples.

If a child who lives next to our hall needed £5000 to go to the USA for a life saving operation I am quite sure that if we knew about their circumstances we would help with the fundraising. Yet, children die of diarrhoea by thousands every day in the developing world – the cost of a cure? Just 50p. The evidence seems to suggest that the demarcation of Christian compassion is determined by geography rather than by need and the ability to meet that need.

Another example: If Christians believe – even if they believe only a little bit – that those around them might (without the saving grace of God) go to hell – surely they would be more committed to saving them? If a Christian saw their neighbours in immediate danger they would do all they could to help. The evidence seems to suggest that the majority of Christians don’t really believe this.

One final example, if we believe that Jesus is Lord and longs to hear our prayers and our praises would we not pray and praise more. Again, the evidence seems to suggest a lack of real belief.

I have always felt a strong conviction that the issue of lifestyle would prove to be critical to the success (maybe even the survival) of the Christian church in the 21st century.

As I cycled up towards Shooters Hill (gasp) I found myself once again in one of those tight corners where the Holy Spirit seems to increasingly lead me – there seemed to be no way out but to agree with the logic of the argument being presented before me.

Love and prayers

A

1 comment:

Simon Mapleback said...

Some great points there Andrew, I'm with you mate!

God bless ya

(PS - look after Xander for us!)