Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Two things...

First of all another great quote from O&R's for Field Officers (Corps Officers) 1908:

"No duty that the F.O. has to discharge in the whole course of the War is of greater importance than that he shall be ready to give an answer, clear, positive, and confident, to the question which will be so often put in his hearing or proposed to him personally, "what must I do in order to be holy?"

Secondly, some New Year's resolutions...

I once saw a poster outside a church in September which said 'Worship Jesus now and avoid the Christmas rush!' I thought I'd apply the same logic to New Year's resolutions and make them now and avoid the rush on the 31st!

I'm so bad at keeping the promises I make to myself that I'm not going to list my resolutions – although I might blog them in six months (if I've managed to keep them!)

However, there is one resolution I will share.

In 2009 I am going to make holiness my first object in life. I am going to take it apart, study every component, put it back together again, fully understand it, experience it, share it, preach it, teach it and by God's grace live it!

2009 must be the year when I begin to permanently live 'beyond the brook'.

Holiness will prove to be the salvation of The Salvation Army and those of us who consider ourselves to be salvation soldiers must live, eat and breathe holiness.

Jesus, thy fullness give,

My soul and body bless;

Cleanse me from sin that I may live

The life of holiness.


 

In white, in white, walking in white;

He makes me worthy through his blood

To walk with him in white.


 

With full salvation might,

My heart and mind make strong;

Help me to live and do the right

And part with all that's wrong.


 

Give me full joy and peace,

Eternal inward rest

Lead me to Calvary's holy feast,

There let my soul be blest.


 

Saved from the power of sin,

Kept by thy grace secure,

Let all without and all within

Be pure, as thou art pure.


 

William James Pearson (1832-92)

Grace and peace, A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is your resolution going after nearly 5 months? As we approach Pentecost do you anticipate a fresh baptism?