Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thank God for John!

It's too long since I've posted and what better way to return than to be positive!

I just felt the need to place on record (before as many people as possible) my sincere thanks to John Gowans for his contribution to the song book. Since the end of January we have been out of our hall (due to planned maintenance) and are not due to return until the end of April.

All of the songs we normally use, apart from the songbook, are only available via projection and our projector is ceiling mounted not portable. We've been worshipping in a lovely URC church hall and have only been able to use SA songbooks for worship. (I didn't want to waste paper printing off songsheets every week).

We have three new converts in our corps family, two are recovering alcoholics, one of whom has only been out of detox for two weeks, in looking for songs I have constantly found myself returning to those penned by retired General JG! He came to give us life - someone cares - kneeling in penitence - if you want it it's yours - there is a message - there's no other name - knowing my failings - how much more - who is it tells me what to do... and so I could go on.

Some poets take simple things and make them complicated whilst others, like John Gowans, take complicated things and make them simple!

Thank God for John!

Grace and peace, A

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a lover of the Songs that JG wrote. As you say he takes the complicated and makes them simple enough for anyone to understand without taking anything away from the depth of the message. Good to see you blogging again.

Colin Machan said...

It's great to have so many songs from the Gowans/Larsson musicals in the Songbook. Such a great selection:

"When I came to him Christ came to me,
Showed me what he planned that I should be;
I was liberated there and then,
O I’ll never be the same again!"

Wow!
C

g-force said...

So glad to "see" you back online, Andrew.

Yes, catchy tunes and texts that remain in your mind and cause you to reflect on them months and years later. Many of us grew up on Gowans & Larsson musicals- might be interesting to revisit them & see how they hold up in this 21st century...

Take care Andrew, & Congrats and blessings on your new converts!

Genise

Anonymous said...

Not only is he a fine poet/songwriter he is the epitome of humility in leadership. His approach to faith has both feet planted on the ground. No ethereal 'different plane' spirituality; just the way to bring God's grace to everyday life. He's a fine Christian man and great example.