Friday, April 17, 2009

Sanctified ordinariness...

Last night I was privileged to attend a thanksgiving service for Colonel Brindley Boon. Back in 1971 Brindley (as UK Editor-in-Chief) was my Dad's boss and mentor but to us children was ( and always will be) 'Uncle Brindley'. For those for whom the name conjures up nothing – below are three of his songs (all in the current song book).

SASB 218 - Spirit divine, come as of old with healing in thy train...

SASB 786 - I would be thy holy temple, Sacred and indwelt by thee...

SASB 463 - For thy mission make me holy, For thy glory make me thine, Sanctify each moment fully, Fill my life with love divine...

I'm probably in a minority but my favourite of these three (which, incidentally wasn't mentioned last night) is song no: 463. Brindley understood that holiness (rather than being an end in itself) is actually a means by which God seeks to save others.

During the many tributes that were shared yesterday evening, Lt-Colonel Charles King (presiding) read one from my Father which described Brindley's 'sanctified ordinariness' as being the inspiration behind his own spiritual life.

Charles went on to make this reference to 'sanctified ordinariness' the basis of his final address in which he made the point that, although Brindley's first and greatest passion was the Army, he also had time for the English cricket team and Crystal palace Football Club! The challenge to the congregation was to allow the Holy Spirit to restore this 'sanctified ordinariness' to our ranks. It made me think of Paul's words to the Corinthians:

"19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."(1 Corinthians 9)

It also made me think of the lovely rendition of Romans 12 found in The Message:

"1 -2 So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out."

Suddenly the penny dropped – what is holiness? Nothing more than 'sanctified ordinariness'...

I think I'd like some of that!

Grace and peace, A

2 comments:

Johnny said...

It was a fitting tribute on Thursday.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say "hi".

J

Anonymous said...

So would I like some of that and praise God I can by His grace.