Thursday, October 15, 2009

In his time...

Recently I was in conversation with Lee (see blog below) about smoking. Lee has given up so much in the last 8 months that I really didn't feel he needed to get into a battle with nicotine on top of everything else. I shared with him the testimony of the Jesuit writer John Powel (recounted in 'He Touched Me: My Pilgrimage of Prayer') about smoking. Powell had tried to give up smoking on many occasions unsuccessfully then one day as he reached for the first cigarette of the day he unexpectedly heard a quiet voice within say 'no more cigarettes John'. He obeyed the voice and has been nicotine free since. I suggested to Lee that when the time was right God would take the desire to smoke away just as he had removed his urge to drink.

In my own life my two biggest enemies have been lust and gambling (closely followed by pride and selfish ambition). Although these strongholds have been comprehensively demolished by the Holy Spirit temptation still lurks in their ruins and occasionally sallies forth in attempt to ensnare me once more. When it comes to holiness our big sins are easy to identify what takes more time is identifying and surrendering the doubtful things. For me, one of these doubtful things has been coffee. I have tried on many occasions to give up coffee but without success. Recent circumstances have led me to heed my own advice and leave the matter in God's hands.

Coffee seems to be the cement which holds church fellowship together; coffee is entrenched in our very fabric. Go to a Christian conference and coffee is available on tap. Hold a meeting, get together with a potential convert, network with other agencies , go to a church service, attend an Alpha Course, got to a bible study and coffee is there constantly oiling the ecclesiastical cogs. In addition, with the advent of Fairtrade there is almost a moral obligation to support the ethical coffee market. Then there is the fact that the local coffee shop is often the hub of the community - a suburban watering hole where all levels of society find neutral ground – therefore the coffee shop is an excellent place to witness. Then last week I read an (accredited) article about the benefits of moderate coffee consumption. Anything over two cups a day is likely to have an adverse health impact but keeping your intake to just two strong cups a day (preferably taken before noon) can have a very positive effect. Apparently, coffee is full of antioxidants and can limit your chances of heart disease and Alzheimer's. In addition there is a chemical in coffee that destroys the bacteria that causes tooth decay (incidentally all of these claims are equally true for dark chocolate!)

So maybe if Paul was writing to Timothy today rather than encouraging him to take a little wine with his food he might tell him to get down to Costa Coffee or Starbucks!

So (with an absolute clear conscience) I'm going to follow the example of Railton rather than Finney and start knocking back the black gold (but no more than two strong cups a day!)

If God isn't happy with my decision then he will let me know and whisper quietly in my inner ear as I reach for the coffee pot one morning. In the meantime I am not under law but under grace.

"17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men." (Romans 14)


Grace and peace, A

6 comments:

IanH said...

Hi Andrew - thanks for an interesting blog.

You may not want to put this in the public domain but it would be interesting to know why you think this coffee is 'doubtful'. Has this been a personal thing for you?
Ian

Andrew Bale said...

Hi Ian

Being a man of extremes I've never really done anything in my life in moderation. At the height of my coffee addiction I was having upwards of 6 strong coffees a day - at least 4 of those were costing me £2 a cup (£8 a day, £40 a week, £160 a month - an expensive habit!)

The cost of the coffee together with the negative health effects of over consumption and the fact that there is no nutritional value in coffee made it doubtful.

Caffeine is a drug and we take it for that reason. However some drugs have medicinal value and some are purely taken for leisure. I think the latest findings about coffee (for me at least) have turned it from a (potentially harmful) recreational drug to a pleasant experience with positive health and social benefits.

BTW - when are you attending Councils this year?

Grace and peace, A

IanH said...

Thanks mate - I understand where you are coming from. We rarely buy coffee out but like to make a decent brew of Cafe Direct (I'm a shareholder actually!) when we are at home/hall etc.

We arrive at Swannick on the 26th? And you?

Love to all
Ian

Andrew Bale said...

That's a shame we are going on Monday - we'll catch up some time!

Grace and peace, A :-)

IanH said...

>we'll catch up some time!

And how many times have we said that! ;-)

Pete Brookshaw said...

Like the blog Andrew. For me, its energy drinks like Red Bull!