Saturday, March 06, 2010

Holiness or hell!

One of the blessings of blogging is that it provides us with an opportunity to make ourselves accountable. We say things in our blogs and our words go around the world! People create an impression of the writer based upon what they read and expect them to behave in a certain way.

In June 2006 I published what I called a 'holiness manifesto' – a series of resolutions concerning how I would live my life. The manifesto was a genuine response to spiritual conviction.

Sadly, I have fallen well short of my self-imposed standards; however the conviction that created those resolutions simply will not go away!

So I'm going to commit to it again – a 'manifesto' day of renewal if you like J

  • Starting each day with God, I will confess my sins, thank him, intercede for others, seek his will and absorb his grace.
  • I will adopt a simple diet and drink only water.
  • I will not waste my words or abuse my freedom in Christ.
  • I will not neglect my family.
  • I will remember that rest is a command and obey it.
  • I will use the minimum of natural resources.
  • I will fight for social justice.
  • I will shop ethically.
  • I will hate sin but adamantly refuse to hate the sinner.
  • I will review each day in prayer and record my thoughts in a journal.

These resolutions are not a legalistic attempt to win God's favour or earn salvation but reflect a heartfelt compulsion to ensure that my lifestyle reflects my faith.

Love and prayers

A

2 comments:

g-force said...

Amen! That manifesto, and your prohetic warning to the church, are high-flying banners alerting the church to draw near to her first love while there is yet time. Thanks to God for your faithfulness. Stay radical my brother. -Genise

Anonymous said...

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Rarely heard (if ever) in pulpits these days. It is encouraging to know that there are still those who proclaim it!
readywriterpublications.wordpress.com