Monday, March 13, 2006

The 'Daniel Process'

I have been quite frustrated and a little despondent recently, I am mature enough to recognise spiritual attack when I see it and I have ‘sufficient grace’ to ‘live above feelings’ but recognising that one is in the heat of the battle doesn’t make the fighting anymore comfortable.

The source of this attack has been my frustration at not being able to do everything I want to do – even worse – maybe even everything that God wants me to do! Hopefully this time next year I will be well on my way to becoming an Officer again but I have at least another twelve months in the ‘chains’ of local government.

Yesterday morning I attended Bromley Corps, South London (UK) as my wife (who is a non-residential Cadet) was required to participate in the meeting as part of her ‘Corps placement’.

The Officer preached on Daniel 9 (If ever a chapter of scripture leant itself to primitive Salvationism then this one does!). I have read these verses many times and repeatedly prayed into them – yet yesterday a new (yet astoundingly obvious) insight came my way
  • Daniel studied the Word.
  • Daniel understood the Word.
  • Daniel responded to the word.
  • God acted.

The first three bullet points actually had to take place before the Israelites could return from exile. In the same way primitive Salvationists have to study, understand and respond before decline in the west can be halted and global revival can take place! As I considered these verses yesterday morning it suddenly occurred to me that Daniel’s prayers were an essential prerequisite to the end of the exile.

The following is a very brief breakdown of the ‘Daniel process’.

  • Daniel Studied and understood the word (verse 2
  • Daniel responded to the Word with prayer, petition and fasting (verses 3 and 4)
  • Daniel recognised God’s blamelessness (verse 4)
  • Daniel recognised our wickedness (verse 5 - 7)
  • Daniel recognised God’s (undeserved) mercy (verse 9)
  • Daniel recognised corporate sin as well as individual sin (verse 11)
  • Daniel recognised the consequences of individual and corporate sin (verses 11-14)
  • Daniel pleaded for mercy (verses 15-19)

Before God could act someone had to apply the word (nothing positive ever happens in the spiritual realms without the application of God’s word). How does the ‘Daniel process’ work?

  • Understanding the word fuels prayer and fasting…
  • which in turn fuels the word…
  • which in turn fuels repentance…
  • which (by dealing with sin) frees up the Spirit to act…
  • and ‘Bingo!’ miraculous events begin to unfold.

Basically, the ‘Daniel process’ brings together the divine and the human and produced miraculous activity. This idea of God working through mankind is often forgotten in a church that increasingly celebrates (quite rightly) signs and wonders. Too often we consider the status quo and expect God to ‘give us another Pentecost’ without recognising the important role God requires us to play in the process.

Yesterday I powerfully felt God come to me and say “Brother Bale you can pray and fast and then pray and fast some more, you can repent for your own sins and for the corporate sin of the Army (just as Daniel repented on behalf of Israel) and you can start now!”

I don’t suppose I will get a better opportunity to do this - God in his infinite mercy has given me a fifteen months to pray and fast in preparation for the restoration of TSA in the western territories. At the moment I am not tied down by the responsibilities of leadership or ministry, I am therefore completely free to participate in the ‘Daniel Process’.

Coincidentally, if I the Army accept my application to become and Officer again and allow me to take up an appointment in July 2007 (the earliest practical opportunity) then the time allotted to me for this period of prayer, fasting and repentance is 70 weeks (‘seventy sevens’). As said this time frame is probably nothing more than a coincidental encouragement to me. However, whether we have seventy weeks available to us or not we all need to consider whether we are being called to participate in the ‘Daniel Process’ and act accordingly.

Love and prayers Andrew

2 comments:

Matt Clifton said...

That scripture is a treasure trove and I love what you have pulled from it - it is axiomatic for us. It was one of the key scriptures in the 'repentance, prayer and fasting' threefold calling that we are responding to.

Much to talk about it in all this - such an encouragement to see this speaking deeply to you. I have to head for bed - talk soon :o)

In His love,

Matt
Future Fire

Naomi said...

Hmmmm... interesting process there. Thanks for working that out, and typing it up.

Here's something (sort of) similar for you to compare:

Isaiah's process