Monday, May 22, 2006

The return...

If there were such a thing as SA Officer-spotting (like bird watching or train-spotting) then Bromley South railway station would be an anorak’s delight.

There is probably a greater density of SA Officers in the London Borough of Bromley than in any other geographical location in the world!

So, when I am sitting on that station waiting for the next train to Orpington or St Mary Cray I am not surprised to see the occasional Army fleece (although a cap is harder to spot these days!).

Some SA Officers stand out more than others – such as my DC Anthony Cotterill – like Saul he is (literally) head and shoulders above the average commuter!

So it was, that at about 4:40pm on Wednesday 17th May, I bumped into my DC.

This was the moment in time when I heard that my application to return to Officership had been officially endorsed by the TC.

How did I feel upon receipt of this momentous news? – not elated not even a sense of relief. I simply felt an immense sense of gratitude mingled with overwhelming deep humility.

I do not deserve to be an Officer and deep down in my heart I never thought this door would open to me again but my leaders have accepted the validity of my testimony and have placed their confidence firmly in Christ’s ability to forgive, change and empower!

As I travelled home on the train, the following words came to mind,

I have no claim on grace;
I have no right to plead;
I stand before my maker's face
Condemned in thought and deed.
But since there died a Lamb
Who, guiltless, my guilt bore,
I lay fast hold on Jesus' name,
And sin is mine no more.

O pardon-speaking blood!
O soul-renewing grace!
Through Christ I know the love of God
And see the Father's face.
I now set forth thy praise,
Thy loyal servant I,
And gladly dedicate my days
My God to glorify."

What will happen now?

Due to circumstances beyond my control I cannot take up an appointment until 2007 which gives me plenty of time to prepare myself and to wait (like the disciples) until my Pentecostal appointment arrives.

Then what?

Watch this space!

I am not returning to Officership to be nominal or to ride the gravy train or to keep regular office hours. I am not going to pace myself along the way of holiness. I am not returning to adopt a maintenance role. I am coming back to burn! I am coming back to ‘spend and be spent’. I am coming back to ‘restore the years that the locusts have eaten’. I am coming back to save the lost, to fight for social justice, to befriend the friendless, to lead and inspire, to challenge, encourage and chastise, to teach and live holiness. I am coming back to be at the centre of the revival that God is about to pour on the western territories of The Salvation Army. I am coming back to engage every hour, every penny, every power, every influence – all that I am in the Salvation War and it is my intention to fight until I die – Hallelujah.

I am coming back and I cannot wait!

Yours under Christ and irrepressibly over the Devil

Andrew

5 comments:

Gordon said...

my big brother!!

thanks for the good news!

Rehoboth said...

You have been a fellow God's Messenger for a long time. We now rejoice that you can fulfill that calling once again as an officer.

"Speak the word, live the truth and love the lost!"

Now that our prayers that God would make you ready for your return to officership have been answered, we're now praying for the Army that it will be ready for you!!

God bless

Carol

Graeme Smith said...

Praise God! I pray that God will bless you abundantly for your faithfulness and that through you the Army will be challenged, encouraged and chastised!

Graeme

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Hallelujah! Fight like its going out of fashion brother!

Kapten Clark said...

Welcome home!