Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The unsaved need the saved!

I haven’t seriously read Brengle since I was 16 and my spiritual makeup at 44 is quite is different from what it was nearly 30 years ago.

So having completed several excellent books by Andrew Murray and Charles Finney I have decided to re-read the works of Brengle.

Starting with “The Soul-Winner’s Secret” (Because I like the title!)

Brengle starts with an obvious but oft forgotten truth which might be behind the problem that the contemporary Salvation Army in the west seems to have with soul-winning..
“Every soul-winner is in the secret of the Lord, and has had a definite personal experience of salvation and the baptism of the Holy Ghost, which brings him into close fellowship and tender friendship and sympathy with the Saviour… In short, he must have a definite, constant, joyful experience of God’s salvation in his own soul in order to save others… It must be a definite experience that tallies with the Word of God. Only this can give that power and assurance to a man which will enable him to lead and win other men. You must have knowledge before imparting knowledge. You must have fire to kindle fire. You must have life to reproduce life. You must know Jesus and be on friendly terms with Him to be able to introduce others to Him. You must be one with Jesus, and be “bound up in the bundle of life” with Him if you would bring others into that life.”
As I have already said, it is a simple truth but one we often forget. Is there a lack of soul-winning in our lives, Corps, territory – Army? It is probably because we are either not properly saved ourselves or we doubt our salvation. The average western SA Officer no longer considers salvation to be the first or most obvious solution to an enquirer’s problem.

I fear that until we get this right we will continue to struggle.

Saved people are used by God to save others!

Yours under Christ and irrepressibly over the devil.

1 comment:

Rehoboth said...

Good old Brengle. I have just re-read The Way of Holiness.

I have put a response about witnessing on my own blog, which I think echoes what you are saying.

God bless

Carol