Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Holiness and the Ted Haggard Syndrome...

I have no stones to throw at Ted Haggard. I have been the prodigal caught up in the midst of my own public scandal (see my testimony). Ted will have to suffer the consequences of his actions (as we all have to) and the damage inflicted on him, his family and his church by the enemy will be significant and lasting.

I came across the following excellent article by Gordon McDonald - entitled "When Leaders Implode." Its worth a look.

We need holiness, oh how much we need holiness. We need to rediscover it in the Army and we need to educate our brothers and sisters in the church. Proper holiness takes away the desire to sin and makes us 'more than conquerors'.

Holiness happens when we give up sin and surrender all to God and then in faithful obedience wait for Him to bless and eradicate within us the desire to sin. It doesn't take away temptation but it makes temptation redundant - if God has all I am then I do not have the resources available that will enable me to sin.

The charismatics might have power and gifts but without holiness the believer remains vulnerable. If you do not have the blessing of holiness don't take another step until you get it - especially if you are in a position of leadership or have an apparently annointed holiness.

Without holiness we are all scandals waiting to happen.

As usual - Wesley has a song for it!

Not all the powers of hell can fright
A soul that walks with Christ in light,
He walks and cannot fall;
Clearly he sees, and wins his way,
Shining unto the perfect day,
And more than conquers all.

Ten thousand snares my path beset;
Yet will I, Lord, the work complete
Which thou to me hast given;
Regardless of the pains I feel,
Close by the gates of death and hell,
I urge my way to heaven.

Still will I strive, and labour still,
With humble zeal to do thy will,
And trust in thy defence:
My soul into thy hands I give;
And, if he can obtain thy leave,
Let Satan pluck me thence!

Yours faithfully obeying, safe in holiness, loving the lost.

A

No comments: