Tuesday, August 28, 2007

For blessings which he gives me now!

My body is recovering quite well following my recent surgery. My external wound has healed exceptionally well but the internal ones will take a few more months. I go to see my surgeon a week today and hopefully he will permit me to return to light duties.

In the meantime, yesterday was a Bank Holiday and somehow it just didn’t seem right to do no work today and so I dealt with the Corps’s outstanding administration.

  • A letter to Reliance Bank Ltd
  • An email to THQ
  • 4 emails to DHQ
  • A polite letter to the Rotary Club declining their invitation to join
  • The processing of two soldier transfers
  • Asking payroll to sort out an error in my pay (I got paid £-20 – i.e. according to my payslip I owe them £20!)
  • Calculating telephone refunds

Nothing amazing here, no one got saved, no one received the blessing of holiness, the naked weren’t clothed nor the hungry fed but it felt so good.

I am actually an Officer again and the joy I feel is genuinely beyond words!

These little tasks were completed with real care and devotion and a sense of excitement and anticipation.

Can there be a better or more fulfilling occupation other than Salvation Army Officership?

Yours set apart by Christ, for the lost, in the Army – Forever!

A

2 comments:

rehoboth said...

As a old Divisional Secretary used to say to us, whenever we were having a difficult time,"Aren't you glad you joined?"

And the answer after 25 years is still, "YES!"

love and prayers

Carol

Lieutenant Jo said...

Hey Andrew, nice to hear what an officer actually does day to day (it seems sooo removed from what we're experiencing at college!).
I was just interested in your reasons for declining the Rotary invitation... I know several officers who are part of their local Rotary and find the relationships built their are invaluable... what's your thoughts?