Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What's wrong with being a Rotarian?

What's wrong with being a Rotarian?

According to their web page “Rotary International is a global network of service volunteers. It is the world's largest service organisation for business and professional people, with some 1,210,905 members operating in 168 countries world-wide. There are some 58,000 Rotarians in Great Britain and Ireland in 1,845 clubs, helping those in need and working towards world understanding and peace. It’s a fulfilling role, and Rotarians can get involved as much or as little as their time will allow.”

But ‘Salvo Cadet on a mission…” asks “I was just interested in your reasons for declining the Rotary invitation... I know several officers who are part of their local Rotary and find the relationships built there are invaluable... what's your thoughts?”

The following quote is taken from an article I had published in JAC last year:

Rotarians instead of radicals

“Our Officers will make broad their phylacteries and hob-nob with mayors and councilmen and be greeted in the market-place, but God will not be among us” (Brengle)

Now I have no problem with The Rotary Club whatsoever; it is a noble organisation and one deserving of praise. However it is a humanitarian organisation and not a Christian organisation. My concern is that it has over the years become incredibly popular with Salvation Army Officers. I have even known some Officers who have accepted positions within the organisation such as ‘president’ or ‘secretary’. Now if ‘all my days and all my hours, all my will and all my powers’ belong to God and The Salvation Army what time do I have to spare for The Rotary Club? No matter how noble the project is to which I am lending my time how can it be more pressing than one that has God at its heart? Attending a lunch once a month with well-to-do business men may seem like a good way of securing financial support for the Army – but is it the best use of my time? If I am totally honest with myself is my attendance really motivated by fund raising or by the promotion and well being of my own self importance? Indeed if I find myself willing to wear the ‘Inner Wheel’ on my lapel but shrink from displaying a Crest or a Cross is that not evidence of serious inner betrayal?

My purpose is not to knock Rotarians (be they Salvationists or otherwise), nor I am saying that to be a Rotarian is a sin – far from it! My purpose is simply to ask whether there is any risk to our commitment if we give in to the temptation to divide our loyalties. In addition, is association with such groups likely to lead us into materialism? Are we more likely to judge ourselves according to the world’s standard rather than God’s?

There is however a much more serious threat posed to Officers through links with humanitarian groups such as Rotary. Over familiarity with the world can lead us into deeper and more dangerous associations. Like a man who smokes ‘pot’ for recreational use it is easy to slip into ‘hard drugs’, just so, these innocent memberships can lead us into the clutches of secretive and more devious societies. History – albeit largely unwritten history – shows that The Salvation army has always struggled to maintain its independence and its impartiality when courting commerce.”

Incidentally O&R’s for Officers seems to recognise the need for care when joining secular clubs etc when it says in Volume 2 – Procedures, Part 9 - External Relations Chapter 1 - Governments, Public Authorities and other Agencies. Paragraph 7:

“Membership of service clubs (Rotary etc) is governed by approval from the territorial commander.”
Each to his own!

Love and prayers

A

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, I remember when we went to our last appointment my husband was very reluctant to join rotary basically for many of the same reasons you have mentioned.

What he found though was that it was a vital link into our local community. Many of the individuals members supported our work in many ways such as one lady would take some of our welfare clients to her hairdresser to have their hair done, get dresses for young girls doing their formal school dinner. Any need we had for someone we were able to ask for some assistance from one of these people and generally they would oblidge. It began to change them also as they began to be exposed first had to the plight of others not just handing over a cheque (which we generally did not ask for) Some great relationships were formed here and The Salvation Army in our local community gained much support. However, there is a danger as you say of seeing it as a status symbol.

Blessings and you will know the right thing to do for your situation.


Jane

Peter Anderson said...

Andrew,

There are many reasons why I am a Rotarian.
1. God led me to finally join Rotary having been asked many times before I sensed His agreement.
2. It keeps me in touch with people who don't know and need Jesus. This is a fishing pond for me. The opportunities for witnessing are many and varied.
3. "All my days and all my hours" are given to God, not The Salvation Army. Rotary is part of my time off most of the time. The rest of the time it is part of my service to The Salvation Army. It is always part of my service to God.

I agree that being a Rotarian can lead to many temptations. Our saviour can help us overcome these temptations.

I appreciate your honesty and respect your point of view.For many years I shared it on the matter of Rotary membership. I no longer do so and would encourage officers to at least seriously consider the ministry opportunities that Rotary membership brings. Please accept that many of the officers who are Rotarians are so because of the leading of God.

Peter

Andrew Bale said...

Peter my posting was in response to a question raised by someone on my blog - no proactive campaigning on my part :-)

You say "This is a fishing pond for me. The opportunities for witnessing are many and varied." hallelujah! Just out of interest how many Rotarians have you landed. Fisherman aim to catch fish rather than just influence them.

One other point where we obviously differ, 'all my days and all my hours' as a covenanted Officer are given to the Army (as requested by God when he called me).

All power to your elbow brother as the old chorus says 'If you bring the one next to you and I bring the one next to me..."

You must do what God calls you to do! I hope when you're in civvies you wear a crest or red shield alongside your inner wheel :-)

God bless you and beautiful Australia!

A

Lieutenant Jo said...

Thanks for the response Andrew, I haven't worked out for myself where I stand with Rotary as an organisation, but I think your warnings will be helpful for me in future... to keep my motivations in check.
I'm really passionate for the Salvos to be involved in their local communities so that we can be a genuine witness for Christ!

Thanks again, God Bless!

P.S. you can call me Jo.