Sunday, October 28, 2007

Holiness testimonies please!

I recently bumped into an Officer who was a delegate at 'Brengle' (here in the UK) some time ago but was disappointed when the teachings of Brengle were dismissed early on in the proceedings due to the fact that 'no one today testified to holiness' (as understood by Brengle).

Once again biblical standards are brought down to our miserable levels of moral ineptitude and poor performance rather than held up as an attainable goal – so let me put my neck on the line and throw out a challenge at the same time!

I am fully saved by the blood and grace of Jesus. I am saved from sin and also from sinning. I can testify that everything I have and am is fully consecrated to God. I have (in line with God’s revelation) renounced all that is sinful in my life (and doubtful) and by God’s grace I do not deliberately break any known laws of God. By God’s grace I do not sin!

I still make mistakes, I still act impulsively and I am still sometimes a little immature (especially when I play with my two little girls!) I still have to go to Christ and seek his forgiveness when these human traits make my ministry less effective than it might be but by the grace of God I do not sin.

I am not under law but under grace, I am no longer a slave to sin but I am a ‘living sacrifice’ constantly and consistently set apart for God.

I believe that the rediscovery of personal holiness and its power to deliver us from sinning (as well as from sin) will prove to be the salvation of the Salvation Army.

What about you? – do you enjoy the blessing of a clean heart? Do you walk each moment by the saviour’s side? If so then please fulfil that last condition of holiness and testify (here in the 'comments' section of this blog) to God’s power to save completely!

“Lord, give me more soul-saving love,
Send a revival from above,
Thy mighty Spirit pour.
The Army of salvation bless
With righteousness and holiness,
Pressed down and running o'er.”

Hallelujah!

A

5 comments:

rehoboth said...

Hi Andrew,

Here is my testimony.
I believe that Jesus saves me from sin and sinning.

I have loved Jesus all my life and asked him to be my Saviour at the age of 7. Since a young child I struggled with fear and anxiety rooted in pride. This resulted in a great deal of my time and energy being expended upon avoiding situations where I might fail and look foolish, gaining a sense of worth from hard work and trying to control situations and others that might threaten my carefully constructed "safe" world. I tried many times to get rid of my fear and worry and asked God's forgiveness many times for my failure to trust him and witness for him. For years I did not connect my struggle to prid but it was that which was at the core of the problem. When I surrendered pride at the altar I was set free and the Holy Spirit gave me his power and love. It was an instantaneous experience which was followed by my making changes in lifestyle and patterns of behaviour.

Free from sin and filled with the Holy Spirit. It began with a specific and critical moment of surrender and I remain free and filled through the Holy Spirit prompting me and helping me to make a daily surrender of my life to him.

God bless

Carol

rehoboth said...

PS
Holiness hasn't improved my spelling. For "prid" read pride!"

God bless

Carol

Anonymous said...

Saved from sinning and sin, yet you make 'mistakes' that rewquire forgiveness. Sounds like a contradiction here or maybe its an oxymoron.

Andrew Bale said...

I don't like anonymous comments! I am tempted not to reply.

A sin is to deliberately disobey a known command of God. This by God's grace I do not do!

I do, however, as a human being sometimes need to seek God in prayer when my humanity leads me to do things which though not acts of deliberate disobedience might well fall outside the confines of his ideal will.

An example from the life of Christ might well be the cleansing of the temple - definitely not a sin but no doubt something that Christ must have mulled over in his mind many times after the event.

I see no conradiction in my original posting.

Love and prayers

A

Stephen Court said...

I'll give glory to God for sanctifying me August 2, 1991. He's always been faithful. He is a good God and I testify that what God commands, God enables. He IS able to save to the uttermost, through and through, spirit, soul, and body. He remains worthy of every breath, every thought, every effort. All glory to God. He can sanctify you, too. Much grace,
StephenC