Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The waiting game...

The dilemma over holiness continues...

Is it hardcore asceticism that drinks only water and has a cold shower every morning? Or is it a celebration of freedom in Christ that knocks back black coffee and indulges in every, and ‘all good gifts around us’?

I want to get it right because holiness matters and the outcome of this inner debate will determine what I preach for the rest of my life.

Contrast Paul’s advice to the Corinthians with John’s words in his first letter;

“If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If you love the world, love for the Father is not in you. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful people, the lust of their eyes and their boasting about what they have and do—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.”

Of course holiness ought to be joyful and obvious celebration of ‘life in all its fullness’ but the mantle of a prophet brings with it a ‘fasted lifestyle’ that seems eccentric to all, other than the Holy Spirit who motivates it.

There’s the rub! Holiness has to be motivated by God. Holiness is what Finney called ‘disinterested benevolence’ what Wesley called ‘perfect love’. Holiness has got nothing whatsoever to do with what I do - but everything to do with what I allow God to do in and through me.

Holiness is a reflection of God’s love; it is ‘Christ in me the hope of Glory’! If Christ in me wants to drink coffee and go to the occasional football game that’s his prerogative – on the other hand if he wants to shower in cold water and eat dry bread so be it!

I need to follow the instruction he gave to the apostles following the resurrection and simply ‘wait’. It is in the waiting, in the ‘hiding’, in 'the secret of his presence' that holiness truly begins!

Lord come and educate
And teach my keen desire
That only where souls learn to wait
Falls Pentecostal fire.

If I would see the way
Where you would have me walk
Then I must when I kneel to pray
Allow you time to talk.

Revival shall be mine
In strict proportion to
The sum and quality of time
I spend alone with you.

Your word oh Lord is clear
The sentiment so plain.
If we would see and know you near
Then still we must remain.

The shells that God employs
To force his foes to ground
Though packed with loud and happy noise
Are fired without a sound.

Love and prayers - A

No comments: