Monday, January 26, 2009

Share your faith the African way!

Today I went to Salvationist Publishing and Supplies.

Railton had a problem with 'Trade' selling goods emblazoned with the name and pictures of the Founder goodness knows what he'd make of baseball caps with the slogan 'Black Dyke Mills Band'? (they, unlike long sleeved uniform shirts, can be bought at 'Trade'.) Mind you, there's probably more soul saving usic on a Black Dyke CD than a Staff Band one but cynicism is not what this blog is about - far from it!

On the way back I settled down on the train, plugged into the IPOD ready for a time of prayer when a young African girl came and sat opposite me – "Excuse me sir' she began and then noticing the red shield on my sweatshirt said 'Oh.. you're already a Christian... that's OK... sorry to disturb you...' Then she went to go, I stopped her and asked her if she was about to share her faith with a middle aged stranger?

She was!

One of her New Year resolution's was to share her faith whenever she travelled by train – she travels by train twice a week. I praised her for her courage, told her how impressed I was and she allowed me to pray for her.

Her name was Violet, she was 21 having moved to the UK at the age of 16.

Three years ago while in Zimbabwe on holiday her Father (aged 43) was tragically killed in a car accident – the family had to come home without him.

Yet in spite of all of this Jesus shone out of her face and I am certain that had I not been a believer she would have had a conversion on that train!

God is so gracious, fancy sending young African missionaries into 'Heathen England'!

Please pray for Violet and for the Elim Pentecostal Church she attends in Morden, pray for her enthusiastic and brave evangelistic efforts, pray for her 1 year old daughter, pray for her Mum and sisters, pray for Zimbabwe and pray for her new stepdad who is currently stranded in South Africa and if you've any room left on your prayer list maybe you could squeeze one in for 'Darkest England!'

Thank you God for Violet she made my day?

Grace and Peace, A

5 comments:

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Great stuff...after 13 or so years as a Christian I don't think I can count any time at all when I've been approached by a Christian trying to witness to me. So praise God that there are people out there getting on with it.

blessings to you and yours,

Andrew

Anonymous said...

I admire the courage of this young Christian. I am glad that you called her back and had that conversation with her and also that you took the time to pray for her. All too often we miss the opportunities that come our way to witness even when they are handed to us on a plate. God bless her, her family and Darkest England and maybe you could add Darkest Australia. Some of our young folk have been known to evangelise on trains too. May God bless them in their efforts to evangelise. We all need to pray for boldness as we endeavour to spread the Good News. God bless you.

yp said...

Blessings to you both!

Rob said...

What a remarkable encounter. I've seen these missionaries to the west and admire and envy their zeal and tenacity!

I could say more about your experience at trade, but I'll refrain...

IanH said...

But it's not what Jesus did. Discuss.