Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pressing projects!

In a couple of months we are off to a new appointment – Rayleigh in Essex. This appointment will be very different from Dartford in far too many ways to mention. However Rayleigh’s status as a middle-class, largely white Anglo Saxon market town might make ministry more – rather than less – demanding.

In addition, in a couple of months, I will be starting an MA in theology. It is my earnest intention that this study will not eat into my mission time and my plan is to try and fit it into the early morning and late evening periods of the day.

All of this means that the pressure on me to finish off current projects is increasing. I have an unfinished book on holiness outstanding and I’ve also been working on contemporising the text of ‘Heathen England’. I am seriously contemplating taking a week’s leave and locking myself away somewhere like Sunbury Court and getting both projects out of the way. This might well be the answer as I always work better to deadlines – especially tight ones!

I firmly believe that my inability to complete the book on holiness is partly demonic. I do not claim to be a gifted writer but I do acknowledge that God uses me in this way and that the results of what I write (under his influence) can have a profound impact on those who read them. I think that this book, written for today’s generation but passing on truths not really properly preached or understood for 100 years or more, could have a significant effect on The Salvation Army. Does that sound a little pompous or arrogant? Maybe, but I assure you that I take no credit for this (currently drawn out) project. I believe that the words are Gods and the holiness they address is needed by today’s church in order to become truly effective.

Holiness – the surrender of all that is sinful and doubtful and the entire consecration of oneself to God – is out of fashion at the moment. Worldliness – considered a sin by the church for 1900 years and then suddenly made legitimate – rattles around our ankles like a heavy ball and chain. A holy church, an unworldly church is a liberated church and one that can reach its maximum effectiveness for Christ and his kingdom. An unholy church will quite simply not ‘see Christ’ – not in its mission, not in its leaders, not in its congregations – for ‘without holiness none shall see the Lord!’

Grace and peace, A

5 comments:

g-force said...

Andrew, you are right on target. Of course the enemy doesn't want us (Salvationists, Nazarenes, etc.) to recapture the zeal for holiness that launched these denominations. But God's program will prevail. Looking forward to reading your book.

Love & peace,
Genise

Roy Stephens said...

As I read your blog and the part where you mention that you are having problems with finishing your book on holiness. Have you ever thought that this is God's doing, that He has far more important things for you to be doing.

Officer’s covenant
My Covenant
Called by God to proclaim the gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ as an officer of The Salvation Army, I bind myself to him in this solemn covenant: to love and serve him supremely all my days, to live to win souls and make their salvation the first purpose of my life, to care for the poor, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable, and befriend those who have no friends, to maintain the doctrines and principles of The Salvation Army, and, by God’s grace, to prove myself a worthy officer.
Done in the strength of my Lord and Saviour, and in the presence of [the following wording to be adapted to local circumstances] the Territorial Commander, training college officers and fellow cadets.

Your first priority surely is Saving Souls, Making Disciples and Serving Humanity. If you have any time left, I expect God will show you how to use it usefully.

Your humble foot soldier,
Roy Stephens

Andrew Bale said...

Hi Roy - please rest assured that I am doing all God wants and I believe the two projects on the go are part of his will for the way I use my time. Grace and peace, A

Roy Stephens said...

Hi Andrew,
Tell me how many souls saved this weekend, how many new Junior and Senior Soldiers waiting to be enrolled, how many first time attendees in the meeting. Are you being asked these questions by your DC and TC. I hope so.

Roy

Andrew Bale said...

Hi Roy

Sadly no souls saved this weekebd but some really dramatic God-glorifying conversions during our stay at Dartford. No first time attendees this week - but last week (following an open-air) 3 first time attendees. As we move on to pastures new we leave one young man ready for Junior soldiership (in addition to those we have made already) one potential senior soldier and others in the Corps ready to step into local leadership positions.

My DC never asks me these questions because he is fully aware of our passion, conviction, hard work and commitment to our calling - as for the TC we have little one to one contact with him (although I do value his leadership).

What about you? How goes the war on your front?

Grace and peace, A