Friday, January 19, 2007

A prophecy for the Salvation Army from Isaiah 1

Comrades in Christ

Isaiah Chapter 1 - a prophecy for the western territories of the Salvation Army and for individual soldiers within the Salvation Army.

The following came to me today in prayer and I share it in humility – may God bless, redeem, sanctify and use the Salvation Army – Hallelujah!

“The Salvation Army is one of my favoured children. In your youth I gave you a multicoloured coat woven with a weft of marvellous signs and wonders, but over the years you have rebelled against me until you are no longer able to recognise the sound of my voice. It is bad enough when a parent and child refuse to speak but when one fails to recognise the voice of the other the situation has become tragic. I am speaking to you as much as I ever have done but you do not recognise my voice.

I am still calling you in the direction of the disenfranchised and friendless but you cannot hear me.
I will am still calling you to purity of living and holiness but you cannot hear me.
I am still calling you to stand between the oppressed and the oppressor but you cannot hear me.
I am still calling you to the mighty work of soul winning but you cannot hear me.
I am still calling you to poverty, persecution and victory but you cannot hear me.

The once covenanted warriors of my Salvation Army have become desensitised to my voice.

Like the early church you were born with a rush of Pentecostal fire and your early years were accompanied by salvation war and revival. You were persecuted because you made serious inroads into the devil’s territory and the narrow way that led to heaven was crowded with your converts. You found again the pearl of holiness and sold all that you had to possess it.

Now you have become a

“Sinful nation, a people loaded with guilt, a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption! You have forsaken the LORD; you have spurned the Holy One of Israel and turned your backs on him.” (Verse 4)

I have seen your suffering and I beg you to stop your wilful self-harm.

“Why should you be beaten anymore? Why do you persist in rebellion? Your whole head is injured, your whole heart afflicted…” (Verses 5-7)

Your Corps are closing, your seats are empty, your halls are falling into disrepair and you have no money to rebuild them. Other denominations are trying to use the weapons I crafted for you – they are trying – but they are not you and their armour is ill-fitting and clumsy, they have not read the manual, they have not been properly drilled, your methods – the tactics designed for you are alien to them.

“Your country is desolate, your cities burned with fire; your fields are being stripped by foreigners right before you, laid waste as when overthrown by strangers.” (Verse 7)

Yet in spite of this breakdown in our relationship, in spite of your rebellion and your self-harm and poverty you continue with your religious ordinances. You march to deserted streets and preach to nobody. You feed the slave and clothe him but fail to break his chains. You polish your holiness tables but deny the possibility of purity. You hold music festivals that are nothing but concerts with an ‘amen’ at the end. You parade your good works like phylacteries ensuring that the world - along with your right hand - knows exactly what your left hand is doing. This offends me, I find it detestable, it is worse than the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah - I never asked for this.

“Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations— I cannot bear your evil assemblies.” (Verse 13)

You are praying and even fasting but I have blocked my ears – Salvation Army I am not listening to you.

“When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen.”

Go and wash yourself, your hands are stained with blood for the road to hell is now crowded with the shuffling hopelessness of those I raised you up to save and their blood is on your hands – you think it is enough to feed them and clothe them and wash them but it is not enough. There is no greater contradiction than yours for your arrogant self obsession slaps a man on the back with a hearty ‘God bless you’ and then turns away as he falls into the fiery fissures of hell.

“Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed.” (Verse 16-18)

Once you depended on me, you bought where you had no money, you attacked where you had no chance of victory and you opened fire on a wing and a prayer. Once heaven rang with the sound of your volleys and the angels wept at the audaciousness of your evangelism but now you have prostituted yourself. Now you have taken what is Caesar’s and failed to give me what is mine. You have taken Babylon’s money and bedded the heathen philanthropist. You have sacrificed your right to pray and preach for the chance to buy a building. Once you shouted ‘no compromise’ but now you are all compromise.

“See how the faithful city has become a harlot! She once was full of justice; righteousness used to dwell in her— but now murderers!” (Verse 21)

What is my judgement to be? How will I treat you? What is my response to your individual and corporate sin?

“Come let us reason together…”

I am looking and waiting for you. Like the prodigal I can see you now feeding on the scraps of this unclean world. It is in this mess, that you have created, that you must come to your senses. Dear Salvation Army come back to me for I have a robe and a ring and a fattened calf all waiting for you. It is time to come home!

“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.” (Verses 18-20)

I have left for myself a remnant and if they will humble themselves and identify themselves in repentance and sorrow then I will unblock my ears and clear my eyes and let the ‘revolution now begin’.

The cost is repentance.
The cost is a full renunciation of the values and standards of this world.
The cost is a new and brave exposure to total dependence upon me.
The cost is a full consecration of all you have and are to me (all I have ever asked is that you love me with all your heart, soul, body and mind – I am a jealous God and will not share your love with another!)

“I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities. I will restore your judges as in days of old, your counsellors as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City." Zion will be redeemed with justice, her penitent ones with righteousness.”

The future of the Salvation Army will be settled in the next 10 years – it is a clear choice – repent and live or rebel and die.”

God bless you all,
Yours set apart by Christ for the lost, in the Army.

A

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally truth is spoken. Many a time I have heard the phrase "The union moved in and Jesus moved out" when people refered to the Salvation Army (in Canada). It is my prayer that your words may not fall on deaf ears.

armybarmy said...

May God grant us the humility to head the word and to repent and then to rise again... greater things!

james said...

wow

This bit really struck me:

You parade your good works like phylacteries ensuring that the world - along with your right hand - knows exactly what your left hand is doing.

So true...

Lord, convict us all

Discover Leadership said...

Andrew,

Thank you for publishing this prophecy. It is very congruent with what TSA prophets around the world are saying. (you might want to have a look at my "quick and dirty" summary of TSA prophecies at http://schoolofprophets-australia.blogspot.com/2006/12/what-i-beleive-god-said-in-2006-these.html .)

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 58 is said to be our founding charter. It might be an appropriate re-founding charter (lots of "If...then's").

I try and pray Isa 58 over our local expression and the larger Army everyday, believing there is a remnant of hope.

Grace,

Aaron

Rob said...

May we be fervent in prayer and sincere in repentance. O Lord, may our robes be washed clean - cleanse us with hyssop, wash [us] and we will be whiter than snow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your courage and boldness. I pray your voice, your message, and others like it, will be used of God to restore us to our first love!

MERCYPEACEGRACE said...

Confirmation...Two days before Andrew posted the prophetic word the Lord told me somthig incredibly similar (17 Jan blog) : " However, along with uncompromising holiness, I believe it is humility that God wants to speak to His army at this time: “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14). This humility is becoming the wagon as Christ become the horse, letting go of the reigns, having smaller heads and bigger hearts - less of us and more of Him."
Also, without knowledge of Andrews post, Kym (21 Jan blog) further supported its prophetic words: "Perhaps we ought to stop asking "is God speaking?", and start asking "are we listening?" and further speaks of 'less respectibility' and more 'irresistable conviction of the Holy Spirit'.
Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Hello Andrew,
Intersting reading.
Just a quick couple of questions, if I may.
Is this "prophesy" congruent with your own personal opinions and thoughts?
Is it a message that you would personally like to convey to the Salvos?

Thanks,
Teackles.

Andrew Bale said...

Praise God that the word I posted last week has been so positively received in blogland I am going to post it on the SA International Discussion forum and see what reaction I get there.

It was good to see the same word coming to other people at the same time and thanks to those of you who linked to this word.

To Teackles, I live to preach God’s word whatever it is – I hope that I don’t have any opinions of my own (but no doubt I do) I want to be an empty vessel through which God can channel his words whatever the personal cost. The word is congruent with my own thoughts because (hopefully) my thoughts are close to Gods – at the end of the day I just want to be part of a Salvation Army that saves souls and makes saints holy. Amen!

A

Rob said...

I've linked to this on my blog NWDYS. I hope to post the text of something that took place yesterday at our Officers' Mission Summit. It was a word from the Lord received by one of our officers. It resonates with what God has spoken to you.

May we be ready to receive what God has for his Army!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, Thanks for replying.

Gee, surely you can't be serious in not wanting opinions?
How can you live in the world and be able to relate to the great "unsaved" without having your own thoughts?
Furthermore how can you know exactly what God's words are saying for sure?
Does anyone know exactly what the scriptures are saying for sure?

My opinion is no.

Christianity is a continual search for truth, a search that is never ending.
Do we ever get a point where know exactly what God is saying to us 100%.
It is all about interpretation of the scriptures and trying to hear God's voice to us.
EG: What you think a scripture means and what I do may be totally different, who is to decide which one of us is right?
We both have an opinion on what is truth based on many factors. Our upbringing, our experiences etc....
You do have an opinion wether you think you do or not.

I just wonder if maybe your "word from God" is no more than your opinion on what the people of the Salvation Army need to hear.
Something that you are (rightly so) passionate about.
One only needs to look at the background to this very web page to see that you are passionate.

Maybe God lead you to look for scriptures to back up your opinion?
God gives us all different passions, I think yours is this page.

OK, that's my thoughts.
Thanks for engaging me.

Teackles.

Anonymous said...

Teakles,

While I would agree that our backgrounds and experiences form a lens through which we view our entire world, Scripture included, it is perhaps not quite accurate to say that there is no way to determine whose view on a Scriptural passage is more true to the source material.

I'm sure you did not mean to suggest that all Biblical study and interpretation comes down to opinion. Opinion certainly comes into it, but opinions can be formed by legitimate and verifiable research, proper exegesis, contextual and co-textual knowledge, and, lest we forget, Holy Spirit inspiration.

Ultimately, of course, we would like our opinions to be formed by Scripture, not the other way around. I have often had long-formed opinions changed through research into what Scripture actually says.

Grace and peace,

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron,
I guess "opinion" is the wrong word.
I do think that the scriptures do come down to interpretation though.
Interpretation that is influenced by many factors.

Do we have a definitive knowledge of any passage?
When the bible tells us to "love your neighour"
Do we know for sure what this meant?
What sort of love is meant, who exactly is our neighbour, was it litereal? etc....
(probably a bad example. but you get the gist?)
Now I know that we can examine and research this for eons but it really comes down to interpretation.
Is there a definitive interpretation.

Now, I disagree with what alot of "conservative evangelical christian's" interpretation on scriptures.
So, is it right for them to say that they know the truth and I don't?

Who is right, who is wrong?

Teackles

Anonymous said...

Teackles, you are quite right that idividuals can have different interpretations of the Bible based on many factors; however, this is not to say that we cannot have a sound knowledge of the Bibles intended meaning based on sound hermeneutical principles.
The Bible is intended to be understood.
As Aaron suggested, though we cannot contain the bible to our own interpretation less exegesis and eisegesis come into play, contextual and co-textual knowledge, aswell as Holy Spirit guidance (the One who promises to guide us unto truth) means that our interpretation is shaped by Scripture, not the other way round.
Teackles, I am wondering what part of the prophetic word is not sitting well with you?
Is it:
The cost of repentance?
The cost of a full renunciation of the values and standards of this world?
The cost of a new and brave exposure to total dependence upon Him?
The cost of full consecration of all you have and are to Him (all I have ever asked is that you love me with all your heart, soul, body and mind – I am a jealous God and will not share your love with another)?
Every blessing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anon,

You make some valid points.
What part of the "prophesy" do I have a problem with?

Well none of it really.
I don't really care too much about what it says.. but about the fact that I think Andrew is passing off his opinion about TSA as words from God.

What if I were to post up a prophesy that I tell you God gave to me that is incongruent with Andrew's?

Now, if I tell you it is from God are you gonna belive me or not?
BTW : I have some like mainded friends who also back up my prophesy and verify it as bonafide.

Teackles.

Anonymous said...

Teakles, the bible says to test all prophetic words. Tests include if it line with Scripture, the fruit, and through discernment. Andrew's word is in harmony with scripture, obedience to it can lead to ripe fruit only, and has been tested by fellow prophets.
A word from the Lord would not be incongrugent with Andrew's, because the Lord is calling his Army to humilty, repentance, and consecration. If you were to say on behalf of the Lord that the Army needs to be more prideful, sinful, and wordly, then I would throw it in the bin.
Andrew has shared the Fathers heart, to agree with it means revival, to diagree is beyond dangerous. If you could give me the name of a prophetic person that disagrees with this word and they actually have a prophetic track record I would love to hear from them or about them!
Thanks for the reply!
It is also worth mentioning that any person who speaks on behalf of the Lord will be judged for each word they did and did not say...

Anonymous said...

Gee Anon,
Would I really say that the Army needs more prideful etc....?? C'mon Anon (if that really is your real name!)
No......
What if my prophesy was encouraging and positive in nature?
Telling TSA to keep up the good work and continue fighting the fight as they are!


Finding another "prophetic person" eh?
Well, it seems that all the people who are putting their "prophesies" on blogs are people who share similar view points, political standings and opinions.
Of course they are agreeing with each other on everything.

Teackles

Andrew Bale said...

Thanks No: 3 and Rob et al

To Teakles - by the way Teakles is just as anonymous as No:3 :-)

There is no political opinion in my 'word' I do not advocate a particular style of worship or dress, I do not deal with terminology or method. I do not dismiss other view points.

Neither is the posting negative it is indeed very positive. It is a call from God to repentance, a call to one of his 'favoured children', it is a call to revival and a revival that will occur within 10 years - how can that be negative?

The 'word' is only negative if we have some reason for not dealing with the personal and corporate sin that is at the moment a barrier to growth and effectiveness within TSA.

What is politcical? What is negative? What elements of the 'word' do you consider to be my own personal opinion?

Yours set apart...

A

Anonymous said...

Er, so...

No one should accept any teaching anyone gives, because it might just align with what they believe?

The end result of this is either extreme individualism (everyone's opinion is just as sound as everyone else's, it is violence to suggest that your opinion might be more accurate) or complete silence. I would prefer silence.

eeellama said...

Andrew: Excellent vision, even if I am a bit shy to use the word "prophecy" in this case.

As for the comments about how we can't really know what the Bible says, I would agree with your position. I've heard quite a bit of "uncertainty" that seems to be coming through authors like Brian McLaren. The natural outcome of that viewpoint is a rejection of absolute truth in favor of "my truth" (AKA my feelings about the truth).

Stand fast! Now is the time we all need to be persevering in prayer, spending Quality Time with God, and then doing what He asks.

Blog: www.xanga.com/elamast

Anonymous said...

Yes Ed,
I like the word vision too.
I think it could be Andrew's vision for TSA.

Andrew,
How can you say there is no negativity in there?

"Now you have become a Sinful nation, a people loaded with guilt, a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption! You have forsaken the LORD!"

"You parade your good works like phylacteries ensuring that the world - along with your right hand - knows exactly what your left hand is doing. This offends me, I find it detestable, it is worse than the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah"
(Does God rank sins?)

Is this positive feedback?
If you were a father and you spoke to your children like this would it be considered positive reinforcement?



Ok, Why do I think you have put your opinion in there?
You answered that in your last post.

"The 'word' is only negative if we have some reason for not dealing with the personal and corporate sin that is at the moment a barrier to growth and effectiveness within TSA."

This is your opinion.
You think that these things are a barrier to growth and effectiveness.
Perhaps there are some who disagree.
Some who think that TSA is traveling nicely and they are not in bondage as you say.
Perhaps the reasons that churches are shrinking have nothing to do with what you are prophesying.

Now, you may be right, it really doesn't concern me if you are or not.

What concerns me is that you (and others) are displaying your views as the word of God.

Now, no-one has answered my question yet.

"What if I were to post up a prophesy that I tell you God gave to me that is incongruent with Andrew's?.......What if my prophesy was encouraging and positive in nature?
Telling TSA to keep up the good work and continue fighting the fight as they are!"


OK, politically???
well, it's such a nasty word I guess.

I am not talking about worship styles or uniforms....or even who you vote for.

Actually, I think I will retract the statement.
It is fraught with danger and I think it will probably do no-one any good.
Only to say this to Ed, I think Brian McLaren and those who have followed him are exactly what the church needs at this point in time.

Teackles, (well this could be my surname couldn't it?)

Andrew Bale said...

Teakles see my latest blog for a response :-)