Saturday, June 09, 2007

Anonymous hits the nail on the head!

In my previous post I mentioned the deliberate sin that is committed by those (Officers and soldiers) who try and serve God with deliberately broken vows.

The comments of 'anonymous' would carry far more weight if he/she were to back up their posting with a name - however the point made is extremely valid and I am grateful to 'anonymous' for the reminder.

One thing, however - like all Salvationists and Officers there have been (and undoubtedly will be) times when I fall short of the promises contained in my covenants but there is a difference between failing, repenting and reconsecrating and deliberately breaking a promise because you think it is no longer valid or because you think the promise is wrong but do not have the courage to renounce it.

I may not always be true to the letter of my holiness manifesto but I am always true to its spirit. What would be really bad would be to attach my name to it whilst actively believing it to be wrong - that would be pointless as well as stupid.

I'm glad I published the manifesto as it will (and already has) increased my acountability.

Thanks anonymous for speaking out.

One last thing - making vows that increase our accountability to God and each other is not the same as legalism - the manifesto 'is not an attempt to earn God’s blessing but is a response to blessings already received, it is not an attempt to win ‘salvation by works’ it is a commitment to see God’s words reflected in my actions.'

Love and prayers

A

No comments: