Monday, June 25, 2007

Penguins with no bounce or squeak...

Packing enables us to discover things we either forget we had or thought we had lost. The other day in my sock drawer (where I keep all kinds of miscellany) I came across a small stuffed penguin wearing a Father Christmas hat!

The penguin used to hang from the interior mirror of a car I had back in 1991. The penguin was bought for me by my son Ben (then aged 8). The penguin used to bounce up and down on elastic whenever the car went over a bump and at the same time it squeaked. The elastic has long since broken and the penguin has lost all its bounce and all its squeak. It no longer functions in the way it was designed to. It lurks away in my sock drawer kept for purely sentimental reasons.

As I packed the penguin away I thought that he kind of symbolises the way some people view their Salvationism. It is no longer functional – not even decorative – it’s simply hidden away and held onto for purely sentimental reasons.

‘Wake up O sleeper and rise from the dead and God will shine on you!’

Love and prayers

A

No comments: