Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Of pigeons and people...

Yesterday morning, as I left the hall, I noticed a rather ragged looking pigeon who had obviously (either temporarily or permanently) lost the ability to fly. It was nervously trotting around the edges of the road with an almost resigned look on its face. Two passing women showed a momentary interest in the bird, mumbled some sympathetic comments and walked on.

An hour later upon my return sure enough the pigeon had become (like the parrot in the famous Monty Python sketch) an ex-pigeon. All that was left was a scarlet feathery patch deeply impregnated into the tarmac.

I immediately though of the following scripture verse:

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.” (Matthew 10:29)

If God winces when a vermin ridden pigeon bites the dust how does he feel about the many residents of Dartford who live in darkness and misery day by day, how does he feel about the elderly, homeless and lonely who struggle on isolation from the rest of society?

Finally, I thought, how does he feel about me and my efforts to win such people? Sure I help those who come to the hall but the sad fact is that most of those who need God’s help don’t come to the hall – but like the pigeon they wander around, helpless and resigned to their fate.

I’m at Officer’s retreat – I don’t do retreat very well but I am finding the time extremely valuable – lots of quality time alone with God. My prayer is that when I return to Dartford tomorrow God will lead me to the ‘flightless pigeons’ of this world, the marginalised and alone and that he will give me the words, the compassion and the skill to bring them into his kingdom. For his name’s sake – Amen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please be assured of my prayers for your efforts among the people of Dartford.
In a way I know how you feel been there done that but it is not easy, we do not know what the future holds but we know who holds the future. Blessings. Bernie.
berniewiseman@gosfieldtel.com

Anonymous said...

May God continue to bless your work just where you are at this time. May we all catch the vision and act upon that which the Lord requires of us so that we may be used to bring other precious souls into His Kingdom.

jsi said...

The ex-pigeon - oh no, its been a decade since I've seen that ex-parrot segment.

You are very right to highlight the comparison about flightless pigeons and people who have been completely written off by the support systems around them. There is no mistake when finding someone who has been convinced or feels so lost that they have little to no purpose to live or continue - their posture is telling. It shows in a physical, as well as emotional and spiritual way.

God does care for His love is deep and wide, and we as believers in Christ are compelled to show that care, that love, that compassion.

I am praying for you and the conviction of your heart to reach out and lift up these "flightless pigeons" around you. I encourage you to continue to be the light of Christ to them - they need you to continue to be the arms of Christ.
I am praying for you right now.

Anonymous said...

I concur with the above commentor. I have just returned home after spending some time with one of these broken people. I have talked to her about the love of God and His power to lift her up and help her out of the despair in which she finds herself. I have prayed for her over recent days as I knew I had this appointment with her today. I have prayed with her now on two occasions and have endeavoured to help her to understand that she can talk to God at any time. I will meet with her again in a few days time and have suggested she come along to some of the things where she can gain fellowship with others - including coming to worship with us. She is seeking - I trust that by the grace of God I will be used to help her to find the God she needs so desperately. In His service for His honour and glory.

Cosmo said...

Hi Andrew!

Not sure if you have time for such things as this, but...you've been tagged.

Please visit my blog to see what that involves:

http://regularlatte.blogspot.com/2008/02/my-first-tag.html