Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mad Kev went to heaven before me?

'Mad Kev' was part and parcel of Dartford, to the casual onlooker he appeared homeless but he actually had his own flat. His bearded demeanour and matted hair gave the impression that he had no family but he actually has a couple of nieces. To say he liked a drink was an understatement, he lived his life in a constant state of inebriation. You could have a conversation with Kev but no a very coherent one. The last time I saw him was Thursday last week, I was selling The War Cry outside McDonalds and he donated 11p. He told me (as he had done before) that when he was in prison he 'got religion' and that the 'blood of Jesus flowed through his body' . He took a paper and said 'Maybe if I read this it'll spark something off in my mind'. On Saturday morning Kev died in the back of a police car on his way to hospital, apparently he'd been beaten up - by whom and why is a mystery - he had nothing and offended no one.

Where is 'Mad Kev' now - has Jesus judged him to be a victim of the evil one and welcomed him into heaven, was the 'religion' Kev got in prison sufficient to carry him through to the kingdom. Perhaps his faith, though not strong enough to free him from drink, was enough to save him.


As I prayed for Kev and others like him (we have a few in Dartford) I remembered the words of Jesus "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did." I hope that in spite of his bondage to drink that Kev believed and consequently is now enjoying a sober and blessed eternity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I BELIEVE WE HAVE TO PUT HOPE IN PAUL'S WORD TO THE JAILER IN ACTS 16:31 "BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND YOU WILL BE SAVED."
HAVE WE NOT A RIGHT TO ASSUME THAT KIV DID INDEED BELIEVE AND IS NOW SAFE IN THE ARMS OF JESUS? Bernie.

Anonymous said...

These too are the people whom Christ died for. Yes, it is difficult for some to break their habits but it is not for us to judge them on that. I too trust that Kev's faith was enough to get him into Heaven where he will no longer have to fight against this habit or perhaps feel that he is a lesser being because of it. These are the people we are called to reach out to - may we each be faithful in our duty to them. God bless you in your work for Him.

a castle said...

Hey Andrew. I was watching the video "William Booth's funeral" on You Tube and 2 mins in I spotted the Dartford band marching behind the casket. Just thought you might be interested.

Anthony