Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Climbing up the golden stair to glory in a uniform!

So uniforms and old style SA worship pose a serious barrier to making friends and winning the lost – at least that seems to be what everyone is telling me at the moment.

This morning I had a half an hour conversation with Neil the station supervisor (I sell the War Cry every Tuesday at the station between 6 and 9). Later in the same day I had an in depth conversation with Tony who owns the sandwich bar at the end of our road and last week I chatted for an hour with Jim who runs a clothes stall opposite my War Cry pitch at the market. I wouldn’t have had any of these conversations without the introduction provided by my uniform. All three of these working class men wanted to know about the Army, what we do and why we do it. They asked about Christ and our motivation.

Just before Christmas a family of asylum seekers from Sri Lanka were referred to us by a local charity – we did the Army thing and gave them a food parcel and toys for the children. They started to come to the meetings. We haven’t seen them for a couple of weeks because they’ve moved house – some distance from the hall. On Sunday they turned up at 10:30 for the holiness meeting – they’d left home at 8:45 and walked with a baby and a toddler for an hour and forty five minutes just to get to the meeting! We sang ‘I’m climbing up the golden stair to glory’ and I preached on ‘living in the light’ – I’m certain they understood very little (if anything) but when we all marched around the hall behind the flag to the strains of ‘We are living in the light of God’ they joined in, smiled and clapped along with everyone else! Next week we’ve arranged to pick them up :-)

What attracts people to the Army is the love that God the Holy Spirit sheds abroad in our hearts. Our problems aren’t external (structure / administration / methodology / tradition) they’re internal. Inconsistencies in doctrine, moral compromise, laziness, apathy, self reliance (or worse still reliance on the latest money spinning church growth model to seep out of Wesley Owen) it is this that makes us ineffective. God’s love transcends tradition and methodology and continues (where we allow it) to make the incomprehensible comprehensible just as it did at Pentecost.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this issue. Although I witness whether in uniform or not I find that people in general are far more responsive and far more likely to approach me when I am in uniform. God bless your family who walked such a distance just to be present at your meeting. What an effort on their part. Sadly some would make this an excuse for not atending. May you continue to to witness for God in Dartford and may I and many others do likewise in our corner of the Kingdom.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you too Andrew! The number of conversations I've had with people here in the town is incredible. The apathy issue is probably one of the biggest in my opinion simply because apathy leads to most of the others you've listed.

What I love is that we see results from all sorts of 'methods' when we allow the Spirit to use us. Modern or traditional doesn't matter as much if the reliance on the Spirit's power is there!

jsi said...

Exceptional - I agree with you and your post points! Even with the winter time we have right now, my husband has a winter coat which is embroidered with TSA and the shield - being in recognizable uniform even in the inclement weather has been a conversation starter.
There is no circumstance that has occurred that has caused the uniform to ever be an obstacle.

Anonymous said...

whereas when I see your uniforms I cross the road so i dont get preached at.

Andrew Bale said...

I don't normally respond to anonymous comments, however to the last poster...

If you are intent on walking the narrow way that leads to destruction that's your choice. There are enough people 'white unto harvest' to keep us busy.

At least if you ever change your mind you'll know who to speak to :-)

A

Anonymous said...

"If you are intent on walking the narrow way that leads to destruction that's your choice. "

That's the spirit!
You told him!

I am sure he doesn't even know what "white unto harvest" even means but I am sure he got the picture.


another anon