Friday, January 01, 2010

Resolutions...

One of the problems I face as a Salvationist is that there is tendency for me to think of commitment in an external context. I've been brought up in a movement that has historically (in order to protect new converts) focussed on encouraging good behaviour and outlawing bad behaviour. This can sometimes lead to a Salvationist morality that can appear to be at odd with the rest of the church (for example tea-totalism). I'm happy with such restraints, indeed I think they are helpful – on many occasions my soldier's and Officer's covenant has protected me in the hour of trial. However, I do have to remind myself occasionally that some things I consider bad may not be bad for everyone and some of my virtues others might find offensive.

So, in the run up to the New Year as I have been mulling over resolutions I decided to go back to scripture and take Christ as my moral measure and not some past hero or old copy of 'orders and regulations'. The result was quite surprising. In some areas it is impossible to use Christ as a model because his morality seems to change according to the circumstances he is in. An obvious ascetic yet accused of gluttony, a man who fasted and prayed alone yet loved the multitude, a man who preached pacifism but made his point with a whip, a man who broke the law and at the same demanded absolute obedience to it – and so I could go on.

Then the penny dropped! Christ was not constrained by morality or ethics but was controlled by love. His life was not a reactive one where rules and regulations offered protection in times of spiritual ambush but a proactive one pushed and empowered by love. In Gethsemane, perhaps his greatest temptation, it wasn't the law or mere obedience that won the day but love. Christ loved God and loved sinners and his actions and words were prompted by that love rather than restrained by a code of ethics.

So my resolution must be (if I am going to take Christ as my example) to set aside more quality time in which I can 'love the Lord my God with all my heart, mind, soul and body'.

The Saviour of men came to seek and to save
The souls who were lost to the good;
His Spirit was moved for the world which he loved
With the boundless compassion of God.
And still there are fields where the labourers are few,
And still there are souls without bread,
And still eyes that weep where the darkness is deep,
And still straying sheep to be led.

Except I am moved with compassion,
How dwelleth thy Spirit in me?
In word and in deed
Burning love is my need;
I know I can find this in thee.

Grace and peace and a very love-fuelled New Year

A

2 comments:

g-force said...

Andrew, so good to see your blogs back! Yes, we are challenged with demonstrating God's unrestrained love to a world that often denies their deepest needs. God help us all.

Blessed 2010 to you,
Genise

IanH said...

Amen brother ;-)

Sorry for not continuing our previous discussion. I had a couple of weeks away on a course and a conference and then got taken over by Christmas. Best wishes for 2010 for you all.