Monday, February 13, 2006

My all is on the altar!

Entire Sanctification

I have been delaying entire sanctification on the grounds that there is much to do. I need to become more experienced in prayer, I need to think through the consequences of such a move - count the cost.etc.

I have also been putting it off because of perceived complications associated with this experience lived out in our modern world. Last night in prayer I read the Doctrine Book (1923 edition). The truth was plain - why delay any longer? According to the text there were 4 essentials and none of them seemed unreasonable to me.

  1. Convicition
  2. Renunciation
  3. Consecration
  4. Faith

God also directed me back to the writings of Phoebe Palmer and there I read the following quote from John Wesley:

“A man cannot be sanctified without faith. He may have ever so much repentance, or ever so much good works, yet all this does not at all avail. He is not sanctified until he believes… but the moment he believes he is sanctified. You shall not be disappointed off your hope; it will come and will not tarry. Look for it, then, every day, every hour, every moment! Why not this moment? Certainly you may look for it now, if you believe it is by faith. And by this token you may surely know whether you seek it by faith or by works - if by works you want something to be done first before you are sanctified you think I must first be, or do thus and thus. Then you are seeking it by works unto this day. If you seek it by faith you may expect it as you are, and if as you are then expect it now… do you believe we are sanctified by faith? Be true then to your principle and look for this blessing just as you are, neither better nor worse, as a poor sinner that has nothing to pay, nothing to plead, but Christ died. Stay for nothing; why should you? Christ is ready and he is all you want. He is waiting for you; he is at the door! Expect it by faith, expect it as you are, expect it now!”

I determined then and there to present my 'living sacrifice' without any further delay. I prayed a simple prayer of dedication

Lord Jesus Christ I come to you in faith and in the confidence which faith brings. As I am with no right to plead save that you died, rose again and live to save me. Tonight I willingly without any reserve place everything that I am and have upon your altar. This is my reasonable service!

Every gift, every word, every penny, every moment, every ambition, every influence, every contact – indeed I place upon your altar every single facet of my life. I do this in faith. Grace will sustain this living sacrifice from this moment forward. I believe that it is “ the privilege of every believer to be wholly sanctified” and that you are able to keep that which I have committed until Christ comes again. Why did it take this long? In the name and power of Jesus Christ I pray in faith, God shall have all there is of me, as of this moment I am set apart totally reserved for God’s use alone. Amen!

I have made similar promises before but somehow last night I felt that the time was right, I felt that God was there and that the Holy Spirit sealed the transaction. Amen

No comments: