Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Original Primitive Salvationism!

I think I have found the first ever use of the term ‘primitive Salvationism’ and it is used (not surprisingly) in reference to GSR!

Taken from Chapter 14, page 137 of ‘Commissioner Railton’ written by Eileen Douglas and Mildred Duff and published in 1920 by The Salvation Army (well worth reading if you can get a copy). The quote says:

“To-day we understand the wonderful provision made by God for thus bringing the very essentials of primitive Salvationism to labourers in far-off corners of the earth. He sent them one who, but, for the disability of his health, would never have been free to stay long weeks in their midst, unhampered by any set programme, and living out The Salvation Army before their eyes. This explains the marvellous hold Railton had on the hearts of thousands of Officers and Salvationists in all parts of the world. He came to them alone, unfettered by previously prepared lists of' engagements. He brought to them his wealth of experience, his boundless energy, his sympathy, his humility, and the reverent love he always showed for those struggling with difficulties. 'He saw their side only, and he left behind him a fleeting but wonderful vision of what a consecrated life can mean on earth. Truly, he was an apostle, 'a man sent from God, whose name was Railton.'

During this period in Railton’s life he was out of favour with the powers that be and given free rein to travel the world as he saw fit. What took me by the throat when I read this paragraph was the superb definition of PS that comes later in the quote:

“Living out The Salvation Army before their eyes” and later still “a wonderful vision of what a consecrated life can mean on earth.”

Friends - what a nugget this is! Take these two lines together and you have a definitive description of primitive Salvationism in its original uncluttered state – what it is it?

“To live out The Salvation Army before there eyes, to show them what a consecrated life can mean on earth!”

This discovery hit me with all the force of a twenty ton truck, flattened me, challenged me, encouraged me, delighted me and pumped me up beyond measure.

What better wind could I have in my sails as I make my way tomorrow to Denmark Hill and the future!

No comments: