Sunday, April 02, 2006

What is all the fuss about? - The world for Christ or bust!

There are several debates ongoing in blogland at the moment all of which seem (to me) to be strands of an overall theme.

Gordon Cotterill at www.urbanarmy.blogspot.com/ discusses the merits of mission/evangelism and the use of phrases such as ‘aggressive Christianity”. Carol Young at old-wells.blogspot.com/ warns against the rising fashion in salvation by process rather than by crisis. Primitive Salvationism at www.primitivesalvationist.com/ps./ discusses the possibility of schism in The Salvation Army. Matt Clifton at futurefireblog.blogspot.com/ has started to be more strident in exposing the folly of blaming all decline on a lack of cultural relevance and longs for another Pentecost Andrew Clark at armyrenewal.blogspot.com/ (in spite of the arrival of a new daughter) recounts the 1960’s and 1970’s renewal movement so brutally crushed at the time and Steve Court deals with 8 myths of PS at www.armybarmy.com/jac.html.

I think that it is time to tie all of these threads together into one central debate. I make no apology for sounding arrogant as what I am about to say does not flow from personal opinion but from the facts.

All Salvationists voluntarily signed their articles of war and publicly declared that they ‘believed’ in the SA doctrines. The only thing you can accuse a Primitive Salvationist of doing is actually attempting to live their lives as if their Articles of War were meaningful and the Doctrines real.

I do not consider myself an extremist I consider myself a Salvationist. When I say the things I say, do the things I do, live the life I live - all I am doing is trying to be a proper Salvationist. The problem we face in today’s western SA is that a genuine Salvationist appears fanatical because his/her life is shown up against a background of inactive, apathetic, materialistic, wealthy. Over-fed, card carrying Salvation Army club members.

The truth is that a Salvationist by definition is a fanatical, militant, aggressive, poverty-embracing, holy-living soldier of Christ who has swapped a life of ‘ease and worldly scheming’ for a life which is totally given over to preaching the gospel, loving the unlovable, fighting for social justice, protecting the vulnerable and doing all of these things in a Salvation Army context. They see themselves as ‘chosen to be” soldiers, living, sleeping, eating and breathing The Salvation Army and its ongoing mission. They have no time of their own, no money of their own and no interests outside of the Salvation War. They are single minded, determined, fearless, reckless, persecuted, misunderstood and always fruitful.

There should be no debate.

Salvationists should simply be called to account, either they live up to the covenant requirements of their Articles of War and act as though Doctrines 10 and 11 were true or they go and join a church.

We are not a church, nor are we a club, nor are we a humanitarian social care organisation – we are an Army and we are at war and we will fight until the war is won or until we fall at our posts.

My sentiments, and surely those of all Salvationists, match those of Booth-Tucker simply and wonderfully stated in Song No. 780.

They bid me choose an easier path, and seek a lighter cross;
Thy bid me mingle with Heaven's gold a little of earth's dross;
They bid me, but in vain, once more the world's illusions try;
I cannot leave the dear old flag, 'twere better far to die.

They say the fighting is too hard, my strength of small avail,
When foes beset and friends are fled, my faith must surely fail.
But, O how can I quit my post while millions sin-bound lie?
I cannot leave the dear old flag, 'twere better far to die.

They say I can a Christian be, and serve God quite as well,
And reach Heaven just as surely by the music of church bell;
But, O the drum and clarion call of band make my pulse fly!
I cannot leave the dear old flag, ‘twere better far to die.


I answer, life is fleeting fast, I cannot, cannot wait;
For me my comrades beckoning stand beyond the pearly gate;
I hear their hallelujahs grand, I hear their battle cry:
O do not leave the dear old flag, ‘twere better far to die!
Love and prayers Andrew

3 comments:

c said...

I think a lot of what you are saying is happening through the Body of Christ (church, christians, whatever you want to call it) in general. It also seems that many Christians are saying the same thing as the Salvos: Awake thou that sleepeth, put on strength! Break up the fallow ground!

There is a definate stirring among believers in general, and it looks as if the PS are just living the radical life that these others are. It's clear within the Army and outside it: revival is needed.

The difference seems to be that soldiers have made a commitment and can be called to account for it, while other Christians can float in and out of their churches with (seemingly) less responsibility for their actions.

However, we know that we shall all stand before Him on the day of judgement and give account for our actions. How is it the world couldn't get along with the holiest man that ever lived, but it can get along with you and me? Have we comprimised? The "radical" or "fanatic" type of people (of who I aspire to become) simply have a righteousness that reflects on the world's corruption. And the Salvos simply have a name for this radical righteousness: Primative Salvationism.

So where does that leave us, with a general stirring and a realisation that we need revival? We have started to see the truth: that Jesus isn't coming back for a bride that isn't pure. That to be the bride of Christ, we as a church must be divorced from everything in the world. We have the truth, and we are growing in it.

Now if truth moves men, we need prayer to move God. This seems to be the next step. It is the most basic foundation for any move of God. Prayer. Prevailing prayer. No revival has ever happened without it, and no revival ever will. We must to our knees, and beg Him to awaken us, light the fire again and fill us again, to revive His people. You said "there should be no debate", and I don't think there is any. We are agreed on the need, now lets spend time on our faces before God pleading for Him to send us a revival. Let's prevail in prayer.

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Glory Hallelujah!

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Was so cheered in my spirit reading the blog again I thought I'd offer another 'Glory Hallelujah!

yours under the flag

Andrew C