Friday, February 02, 2007

A song for revival

I wrote the following yesterday whilst sitting at a pavement cafe in Camden.

The sun was shining and the world was going about its business,. The words will fit many tunes - I had South Shields (TB 444) in mind when I wrote it (I was thinking of BB's classic 'For thy mission make me holy') but you might prefer 'Vacant Chair' (TB 449). Feel free to sing along!

Lord your tired Army slumbers
Battle weary bruised and sore.
Friendly fire has hit our numbers
In the fog of holy war.
Compromise and worldly thinking
In the place of Pentecost
Leaves your Army sadly shrinking
From its call to save the lost.

Lord in mercy send your power
Cleanse our hearts with holy flame
Let your spirit in this hour
Makes us worthy of our name.


In the desert of delusion
Far from love’s refreshing rain.
God himself now asks the question
‘Can my Army live again?’
Only God can see tomorrow
Death and shame or Pentecost?
In your mercy see our sorrow
Send us out to save the lost.

‘Mighty warrior God is with you’
In the strength he has supplied,
With his perfect love within you
Crucify your selfish pride.
Now with no more hesitating
Claim ‘another Pentecost’
For a lonely world is waiting
For his church to save the lost.
Yours set apart, by Christ, for the lost in the Army!

A

3 comments:

Joe West said...

Nice, I dig it.

olivia. said...

i dig it too.

p.s.
the Lord has put it on my heart to cover you in prayer. call the remnant forth.

Rehoboth said...

Good stuff Andrew.

But please not South Shields Aaaag!!!!

Love and prayers

Carol